T is for Transition

This past October I decided to step down from my position as the Midwest Regional Chapter Director with American Photographic Artists. I worked with them as the Chapter Director for two years.  Shortly after that I decided to also leave my board position with the Midwest Chapter of the American Society of Media Photographers too I was a board member with ASMP for four years. 

This wasn't an easy decision for me. In fact I didn't want to do it, I was having fun, I enjoyed planning events, engaging members  sharing information and being a resource to the memberships and helping out in the photographic community. I met a bunch of amazing people that I know I will remain in contact with for what I hope to be forever. I credit ASMP for helping be build alot of the leadership skills that I have now, and if it wasn't for ASMP I would not have been offered teh Chapter Director postion with APA or my advising postion with Harrington College of Design.

So then why did I stop? My own work was startting to suffer. *GASP* I know right!! How could I let me own work slip! It was messed up. My days were long with working at the college, then I would come home to work on things for the APA, then after a good workout, I would get some edits done for myself but not as much as I planned in my head and then its time for bed.  You know how the saying goes "If you dont love yourself, how can you love anyone else". Well, same thing here, I cant  help anyone with their business while mine is just sits and my list of to-dos just keeps piling up.  You have to take care of home. 
*Side note*- I was also turned 30 in October, a lot of restructuring priorities and the like was going on and what can I say, some things had to be given the chop.

                                                       THEN I WAS GIVEN THE CHOP!!!

After almost four years of  working as a career advisor at Harrington College of Design. I was laid off. Damn. I have never been in a lay off situation before. Harrington was my first "real" job. I had pretty much been freelancing ever since I graduated college so this whole lay off thing was totally new to me but more about that later.  This is oh so bittersweet. My finances are interrupted, no more students, no more faculty and staff and no more need to buy "The Editor Pant" from Express.  The whole experience was well worth it, and I wouldn't change a thing.

So back to the blank canvas.. The world is completely my oyster right now and I can literally do whatever I want. That is exciting and overwhelming all at the same time. I've never been in such a huge transition like this before.  However I am expecting great things. I'm ready just to get back to focusing 100% on my own work and sharing it with you.

So with 2013 right around the corner you might want to check in with yourself and think about what you might need to give the big chop to and what your going to focus on. 2013 is getting ready to kick butt!! I for one can not wait!! 

Thanks for reading

1 comment

knsmith2300 said...

God has so much in store for you! So sit back and ride shot gun gal and watch how the MAN works!

Stephanie Graham, Studio Blog. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.